Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Try = failure

Gave Scrivener a shot this weekend and yesterday.  After about 6 hours with it total, initial findings follow:

Opened smartly in 10 seconds with the question, "What do you want to write?"  Format options were listed from Novel to poetry.

Chose "NOVEL."

Tried to set up using and existing chapter one from my book "Vengeance."  Ran into problems.  Checked out the ever ready tutorial, cleared up some issues, but I got confused on the 3x5 cards and cork board, or the outline format.

Have not figured out how to use the cards or outline in relation to the ideas I have for writing.  There appears at this juncture to be much confusion in my mind as to the relationships of the parts, chapters, scenes, cards and/or outline.

So, I trashed it all and started from scratch.  Things went a bit smoother.

I was able to get the title page begun (Scrivener gives you the format to fill in) and designed a protagonist and antagonist along with a couple of comedy relief sidekicks using the character format sheets.  I forgot to copy the form and filled it in.  Thus, I had to copy the form and then delete the previous character from the master form to create a new character.  That ate up a lot of time, but won't happen again, HA.

I finished yesterday's session with four chapters outlined on 3x5 cards hanging on the cork board in what appeared to be a good presentation order.  (Enjoyed shuffling the deck to try different options)
After writing this there appears to be no failure just the confusion of an old mind that has used Word for too long.  Could that be why Scrivener gives you 30 days of trial before you have to pay for it.  So far so good.

What are you waiting for? Go write!

No comments:

Post a Comment